The Kindle's Tiny Details

The Kindle's Tiny Details


The Kindle's Tiny Details

Posted: 02 Feb 2011 02:45 PM PST

I have so many things to talk about and share that it was tough to select just one. In the end the Kindle won out. I know you have heard many things about the Kindle but the details and the little things are just as important. What kind of details and little things?

  • The appearance - I know who've seen pictures but they don't sum up what the Kindle is all about. It is sleek, thin and lightweight. You can almost forget that it is in your hand due to its size and weight. This, of course, can be a bad thing because I don't think you would want to drop it.
  • Proportional - Everything from the keypad to the directional arrows on the side are placed ideally for someone with average size hands. You don't have to stretch your fingers to hit a button and the buttons are spaced far enough apart that you really don't have to worry about striking the wrong key.
  • The screen size - I have to admit, I was worried about this aspect. I mean, six inches just didn't seem that big to me. That all changed when I began reading the users guide. The text and the page fit perfectly within the boundary of the screen.
  • The Font and Text size - This surprised me; the font and text size is very easy on the eyes and rather pleasant to read. Even better than that, you can zoom in and make the words bigger.
  • The screen saver - this is perhaps the most impressive 'tiny detail' they included with the Kindle. Each time you turn off the Kindle a picture of a classic author or book cover fills the screen. This is smart because it refreshes the screen much like a screensaver on a computer but here is the cool part - the picture changes each time. I get just as excited when I turn it off as I do when I turn it on because I don't know what image I will see next. I know, I am easily amused.
  • The dictionary - It has always been reported that the Kindle includes a dictionary and you can look up words that you may not know. What was not reported is this - when you select a word the definition appears at the top of the screen and doesn't overlap any of the text. This makes for a clean, unobtrusive tool that helps you without hindering your reading.
  • Social Networking - If you have WiFi or 3G capabilities around you then you can use this option. You can link your Kindle to your Facebook and/or Twitter account. Why would you want to do that? The Kindle allows you to select text from a book or make notes about a book and will post that to your account(s). If you wanted to share that awesome first line of a book you're reading you can do that.
There are more but I will save them for later. What I will say is this, the developers of the Kindle should be applauded because it is evident that they took time to think about this product; they tested it and they didn't cut corners with the little things that make using a Kindle such a fun experience.

Do I have anything negative to say about the Kindle? Not yet, I'm still playing like a kid in a candy store. Do I expect to? I don't think so but if I do you will be the first to know.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário